A new year resolution this year which I set out to achieve was to live more mindfully. That involves meditation and yoga, which helps your body to pay more attention to breathing and being present. I was also introduced to aromatherapy during my yoga sessions and I’m now convinced that scent is just as important in regulating your state of mind and in aiding your breathing practice.
I was recently introduced to Aromatherapy Associates, which was established in 1958 and specializes in using high grade essential oils to encourage radiant, healthy skin, and also improve our physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. Aromatherapy Associates originally started out in the luxury spa sector, and is used by therapists in over 700 luxury spas worldwide, including those in hotels such as Mandarin Oriental and Fullerton Hotel, which was where I had my virgin Aromatherapy Associates experience.
At the Fullerton Spa, I was introduced to Lyndsey, the SEA Region Manager of Aromatherapy Associates. I was asked to fill out a profiling card to determine my present emotional state, to in turn narrow down the essential oil to be used for my massage.
Relax – Slow down and induce a good night’s sleep
De-Stress – Clear your mind and ease physical stresses and strains
Revive – Invigorates and energises a weary mind and body
Support – Takes care of you at your lowest emotional states
I picked Equilibrium which came like a hug in a bottle – with scents of geranium, rose and frankincense, it was a very comforting scent to emotionally balance yourself and let your mind relax a little.
The great thing about essential oils is their multi-tasking capabilities – besides the physical benefits it brings, it is also able to transform our emotional states and move us from one state of mind to another.
How to Use Essential Oils
- As a treatment for scars and scabs
- As a moisturizer for dry or irritated skin
- Suitable for sensitive skin and people with eczema
- Massage oil to improve blood circulation and muscular aches
- Include in your breathing practice during meditation and yoga
- Add a few drops to your diffuser for a scented room
- Home spa: simply add half a mini bottle of essential oil depending on your emotional state into your bath and soak for 10 – 15 minutes. No bathtub? No problem – apply half a mini bottle of essential oil onto your skin and leave on for a few minutes. Shower off – the hot water creates a natural steamroom and releases the scents of the oil for a relaxing shower experience.
Aromatherapy Associates is available at Sephora for you to DIY your Home Spa experience.